If you'd like to volunteer for Foundation Rwanda, please be in touch. We are pleased to offer several compensated positions as well. Please contact us with any further questions.
Director of Development
Foundation Rwanda is looking for a seasoned Director of Development to support our institutional and online fundraising, grant writing and management and communication efforts. Responsibilities include execution of our annual online Bike to A Better Future Fundraising campaign on Causes.com, identifying and qualifying prospective private and corporate foundation and government agency funders; writing, editing and submitting communications to funders in the US & UK, including proposals, reports and acknowledgement letters. Communications include our annual report and overseeing Foundation Rwanda's newsletters and social media.
The Director of Development must be an excellent writer and have strong non-profit development experience and proven interpersonal and project management skills. He or she must be a self-starter, self-motivated and able to work under pressure. Candidates must have excellent communication, organizational and analytical skills as well as serious attention to detail and deadlines. Candidates should also have knowledge of or be able to learn Salesforce.com, Foundation Rwanda's fundraising database in order to manage and report on prospects, proposal submission deadlines and outcomes, grant reporting deadlines and funder communications. Desirable candidates have the ability to work independently as well as a flexible work schedule in order to be available for weekly staff meetings (on site or via skype) and to be all hands on deck leading up to annual online fundraiser.
Key responsibilities/roles include:
- Work with Executive Director to identify, research and qualify prospective private and corporate grant makers, government funders and high net worth individuals and family foundations
- Know how to "tell the story" about the organization in an exciting and passionate way
- Maintain accurate grant and contract prospect information and manage, update and report on grant prospect information in Salesforce.com
- Track proposal and reporting deadlines and report on grant-related efforts
- Write, edit and prepare complete and compelling grant proposals to raise funds for specific FR programs pertaining to education, income generating opportunities for women and trauma counseling and general operating funds; write and prepare timely and accurate grant reports for current funders
- Prepare program budgets and other proposal attachments, as needed, for proposal and report submissions
- Prepare and send letters of acknowledgement for grants awarded and other communications to funders as needed
- Keep ED informed of fundraising efforts and successes, including the preparation of monthly fundraising reports
- Execute Foundation Rwanda's: Bike To A Better Future Campaign on Cause.com and corporate sponsor strategy.
- Communications and e-mail marketing: create and maintain online e-mail production schedule and calendar w/ integrated strategy for social media innovation and information dissemination around key campaigns.
- Maintain FR's Facebook, You Tube, and Twitter presence and develop and implement FR's social media strategy around campaigns/projects and annual report
- Aid Dev. Consultant on writing, editing and preparing grant proposals.
- Work closely with ED, Rwanda Team Partner NGOS for the 20thcommemoration of genocide advocacy.
- BA degree and 3+ years' grant writing experience, preferably in a non-profit environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and the process of institutional grant seeking, including methods and resources for grant research
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) & Salesforce.com
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills. Must be able to compose compelling letters of intent, grants, reports, and other appropriate funder documentation
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Ability to interpret and analyze statistical data; ability to prepare and analyze program budgets for use in grant proposals and reports
- Ability to manage all aspects of the proposal preparation process
- Candidate must have experience in increasing an organization's fundraising within the first 18 months in an amount approximately equal to 5x-10x Director's salary per annum.
DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS• Passion for the mission • Loves fundraising • Strong interpersonal and communication skills • Sense of humor • Ability and interest in working collaboratively` • Self-starter, highly motivated, takes initiative and is enthusiastic • Sensible, realistic and practical • Professional demeanor • Organizational skills: planning, prioritizing, scheduling.
*Candidate must be based in NY or SF
Please send a cover letter with why you'd be a great candidate for the job and your resume to Mackenzie@foundationrwanda.org asap.